Today we have released the first version of the viewers mechanics.
For more details on how it works and how to use it, here is a tutorial video I have published today:
I have also posted a Kickstarter update, that talks about this new feature and the coming days ahead:
Now let's get down to the known issues and bugs for the viewer
This is the first version of the Viewer and although we have tested it thoroughly, it turned out to be rather tricky to catch all the technical issues that come with session management, RTC connections and different browser versions.
So as of today, we recommend using Chrome to test it, since Firefox and Edge are still sometimes playing tricks on our websocket and the connections.
We need your help to collect data from your testing and your feedback and we will have the next two weeks as focus weeks for the viewer to further improve it.
Session name is not displayed in the gm-viewer. Once you start a session you have no indication what session you are currently running.
- Saving sessions should store, what rooms are already uncovered as well as your session notes. We sometimes have the issue that this is not happening. We can't really put a finger on the cause for this, but this is a high priority task for us.
- Leaving a session always takes you back to the platform instead of the editor.
GM-Viewer: Open Map
- The list of maps gets cut off if you have a lot of maps. A scrollbar will be added soon
When you switch a map via "open map" the stage is always visible, even if the GM-view doesn't indicate that
- When you switch a map via "open map" the gm-viewer can get stuck and need to be reloaded to show the map
- The list can get very long and needs a scrollbar, so that the map is always visible
- The eye-icon for props sometimes (Firefox?) doesn't update properly and always shows the "open eye"
- The interactive elements to show/hide rooms/props directly from the notes is not implemented yet
GM-viewer: Add players
- Players who join via Microsoft Edge have sometimes problems connecting.
If you mix browsers (like opening a game in chrome and add players through firefox) can cause connection problem.
Dropping a connection for a player results in duplicates, as long as the player-view window is still open
- Multiple Level Maps: Switching to a level that has no stage (like a first floor, where the stage is deactivated) causes "ghost fog of war" when the FoW for the stage of this level is active.
In Firefox the map sometimes is not fully loaded, especially when you have a zoom stage of 100% or higher for the player.
Through testing we came across a few things that should be improved:
- Force grid show/hide for maps where the grid is deactivated
- Center viewport by mouse - it would be helpful if you could center the viewport with a simple click
- Leftclick / Rightclick for reveal/hide and move viewport.
- Shortcuts (there is one for PING - CMD+P, but there should be more for all buttons)
- Multiple Viewports should allow different levels per viewport on a multi-level map
Let me know if we have missed some bugs.
We are going to focus on bugfixing and improvements for the viewer in the next two weeks, so please let us know, when you come across something, that was not listed here!
Thanks and have fun testing!